Thursday, February 23, 2012

Axeblazers


























Seems like I've been having a lot of conversations lately about 80's saturday morning cartoons, 80's anime, and class rpg adventure games.  What I love about them is how random they are, yet perfectly acceptable to kids.  Do a robotic triceratops, a genie, a dog samurai, and a single turtle looking to meet women all fit together? YES.  THEY DO.  They are all AWESOME, and I think thats the glue that really holds this stuff together.  So here's a hasty attempt at a lineup, title temp.  The bear turned out waaaay too much like a gummy bear though...boo.  Evidently it was clawing its way back out of my brain.

13 comments:

Jesse Hamm said...

Love it! I'd like to watch this right between Kid Video and D&D.

And you nailed the color scheme.

Emerson Fialho said...

Incrível!

Claudio Cerri said...

The characters are great!! My favourite is the pig!!

Matt Rhodes said...

You are my line-art hero. You can always portray such incredible volume.
This character lineup is a great homage to the 80's cartoons. Ridiculous, confident, fun and completely without irony.

C.Deboda said...

As an 80s cartoon kid myself, this is awesome! As the first commenter pointed out, spot on with the colors too. (just wish I saw a little robot in there somewhere :D)

nlombardo said...

such great characters :)

Bill Robinson said...

Haha, this is great. I love your work...would love to see some process stuff! What do your roughs look like? How do you approach painting? Thanks!

Joshua Taback said...

Inspired...Humbled...Motivated...Entertained...too..many...emotions...must...keep...looking.....

Dock Rock said...

Awesome sauce! I say give it a title, make the image into a sticker and slap it on a tin lunch box.

Becca~ said...

Just seeing the thumbnail at first glance took me back to saturday morning pancakes and cartoons with dad while mom caught up on sleep haha
Thanks for that! :D

Helen Chen said...

Now you just gotta do a villain lineup to challenge these guys.

Jesse Hamm said...

Seconded!

Paco said...

Awesome. I want this show. Love the bear, man :)